Jumping to conclusions: Wobbly hedgehog syndrome in African Pygmy Hedgehogs

In researching African Pygmy Hedgehogs I came across information about the dreaded "wobbly hedgehog syndrome ', which can ultimately affect 1 in 10 hedgehogs! This disorder is similar to MS in humans that it is an adult hedgehog always very shaky and unsteady . the poor animal will often fall to one side and find it increasingly difficult to be on his own. His legs were paralyzed and eventually the Hedgehog must be euthanized.

How awful! It will not happen to my bank ...I got Clark at 8 weeks old and for the first few days he was very lively when he was awake, but he did spend about 22 hours a day sleeping! It took a few days for him to learn to trust me and when he to run around during his waking hours, I began to notice that he was very shaky. He fell over quite a bit and since I'm not sure whether it is a disease, an injury or was was simply because he was a baby. I was just on Google!

All results showed this terrible disease and although it said it is very unusual in young hedgehog, it is still possible.

I was devastatedMy poor Clark! I watched him closely for another week. Not improve or deteriourate its balance sheet. I took a video of him running around his cage and uploaded it to a fan page with over 5000 followers. I asked if this is normal for a 9 week old hedgehogs. Everyone said "No"! I was upset that I had been in denial and not made it to the vet sooner. Everyone was on the video tell me it was definitely Wobbly Hedgehog Syndrome comment.

Visit a veterinarianI have an appointment at the vet's the next day and took Clark, while I, when he was about to set, to sleep there and then asked. The vet was surprised Clark unballed so fast and was so friendly. He does not have a lot of walking on the table veterinarian so he would not fall over, but he was very shaky and when trying to pick up a biscuit left the vet, he was not a very good goal. Excluded the vet and injuries to the legs and said he is sure that there is anything wrong in Clark compensate the brain, such as a cyst or some liquid pressing against the part that helps him. He said he had never reported a case of WHS in the UK and it is one of the parasytes which have connected in America. The vet suggested Clark are monitored and that he predicted Clark deteriourate not and if anything would improve with age, as he learns to compensate. It's not safe for him to use his exercise bike, so now he has to climb a ball pond in.

ReliefUnder Clark home that evening, I felt so relieved that it's not Wobbly Hedgehog Syndrome. I have learned not to jump to conclusions and to hear what other hedgehog owners suggest. There are many health problems suffer with about a hedgehog without WHS.

Related Post